Exfoliating your skin is extremely important, and you probably already knew that. However, something that isn’t talked about that much is scalp exfoliation.
Scalp exfoliation is important for many reasons:
- Promotes hair growth
- Removes dead skin cells
- Relieves itchy scalp and flaking
- Prevents premature hair loss
- Removes product build up
- Prevents hair follicles from being clogged
- Helps relieve scalp acne, whiteheads, pimples, and any scars or blemishes
I would suggest exfoliating your scalp at least once every week or so depending on how many hair products you use. I try to do this once a week or every two weeks since I don’t use that many hair products, and it really leaves your scalp feeling refreshed and moisturized. This is my easy DIY natural scalp exfoliator for healthy hair.
- 3 tablespoons organic brown sugar — natural exfoliant
- 2 tablespoons organic, cold-pressed, virgin, and unrefined coconut oil — moisturizing, antibacterial, promotes hair growth
- 1 tablespoon raw, unfiltered honey — natural antioxidant, antibacterial, helps retain moisture and has moisturizing properties.
- 4-5 drops of any essential oils you prefer; I generally use lavender oil
How to use |
- Combine all of the ingredients into a bowl until it’s a thick paste-like consistency (you might have to warm your coconut oil a bit to soften it so it mixes together more easily)
- In the shower, spend at least a few minutes gently massaging this onto your scalp
- Using lukewarm water, wash your hair out thoroughly with a sulfate free shampoo and condition as you normally would
Keep in mind, this does have coconut oil and honey so you do have to wash your hair thoroughly otherwise some oily remnants will be left behind. I definitely do suggest doing this in the shower because it does contain oil so it can get a bit messy. The great thing about this is if you make too much, you can use it as a body exfoliator as well!
Interested in more hair care posts? Here’s a natural home remedy for itchy dry scalp.
Shop This Post:
♥ ♥ ♥